Winter can leave us cooped up inside our homes as we wait for sunshine and warm weather. Spring is a joyful time of year, a time we often prioritize deep cleaning and decluttering our homes. After all, with the summer months ahead, you’re likely gearing up for entertaining your friends and family! You want your home to be ready for fun!
Although the job has to be done, spring cleaning your home might sound less than desirable. Sure, you could outsource the job but professional cleaners only scratch the surface of what needs to be tackled. Let’s face it, a maid isn’t going to organize the pots and pans in your cabinets or go through expired condiments in your refrigerator!
All that being said, welcome! In this blog post, we’ll be sharing tips for cleaning in Kansas City. After building thousands of homes, and working with cleaning professionals, we’ve compiled some useful tips to make your spring cleaning journey a little easier.
New to our blog? Hearthside Homes is a semi-custom home builder based in Liberty, Missouri. Since 1987, we’ve built nearly 2,000 long-lasting homes. We currently build in the Kansas City, Parkville, Kearney, and Liberty areas. Our homes range in price from $350k-$700k. You can check out our available listings here. Don’t forget to check out our gallery! Below are some tips for how to tackle your cleaning in Kansas City like a pro. We’ve also included a checklist to help you stay organized and efficient while taking on this big undertaking. Spring cleaning your home may seem intimidating, but it will help you relieve those stubborn allergies and feel good going into the new sunny season!
Make A Schedule
Scope out your home and go room by room. Think of what rooms need the most work and start there. If you have a clear plan, it will help you stay efficient and get the cleaning done faster! Keep in mind, spring cleaning your home will likely take a few days or even a few weeks! Set realistic expectations, even if it means tackling one area of your home at a time.
Declutter All Rooms
Start by getting rid of things you don’t want. If you haven’t used an item in months, it might be a good idea to pitch it. Start a donation pile. You won’t believe how much better you feel with less stuff cluttering your space. By only having items you truly love and need, your house will feel less chaotic and more organized. Purging junk will make cleaning much easier!
As cleaning guru, Marie Kondo said, “The best way to choose what to keep and what to throw away is to take each item in one’s hand and ask: ‘Does this spark joy? ‘ If it does, keep it. If not, dispose of it. This is not only the simplest but also the most accurate yardstick by which to judge.”
Work From The Inside Out
A true spring cleaning requires you to start from the inside out! This means you should start the cleaning process by organizing hidden spaces such as your refrigerator, pantry, closets, cabinets, and drawers. This part might sound less than desirable, but it’s essential to a good spring cleaning!
Clean From Top To Bottom
Yes, there is an efficient way to clean! Start by dusting and cleaning your ceiling fans, paneling, furniture, blinds, and windows. You want to work top to bottom so debris doesn’t fall to where you have already spent time cleaning. Once you’ve covered the elevated surfaces, move onto countertops and finally the floors.
Don’t Skip The Carpet
Don’t ignore your carpet! Just because it doesn’t look dirty, doesn’t mean it’s clean! In fact, your carpet is likely the filthiest thing in your home. Bacteria cling from people’s shoes and travel throughout your home. The average carpet has tons of germs that can cause illness. Does anyone in your family experience allergies, especially in the spring? Your carpet could be a major culprit! You can rent a professional-grade carpet cleaner at your local hardware store for a small fee. Warning, you’ll be grossed out by the filthy water!
Don’t Put It Down, Put It Away!
When you pick up an item, don’t avoid it by putting it down on another surface. Put it away where it belongs!
Replace Furnace and HVAC Filters
This is one of the most important parts of spring cleaning! Replace your filters so you can breathe in healthy air for the spring. Air conditioner ducts build up dust during the winter, and upgraded filters catch unwanted particles so they don’t enter your air space. In addition, consider purchasing an air purifier if you don’t already have one!
Spring Cleaning Checklist
Below is a brief spring cleaning checklist. Make sure you don’t forget any of these areas!
- Fridge- Clean out your refrigerator and throw out any expired food or condiments. Make sure to remove everything and deep clean the inside, including the drawers.
- Pantry- Don’t forget to go through the pantry and pitch expired food. You can even make a meal plan to use up what you’ve forgotten!
- Sink- Run some lemon rinds down your garbage disposal and follow with cold water. As a result, foul odors will be gone!
- Countertops- Clear off those countertops and wipe them clean with some granite polish.
- Floors- Swiffer those floors and sweep those crumbs up!
- Pots and pans- Soften burned-on residue by adding water and dish soap. Let it simmer on the stove and scrub with a sponge to get rid of any remaining stuck-on bits.
- Oven- Use the self-cleaning feature to remove grime!
- Microwave- Fill up a bowl with water and lemon and lime or vinegar and turn the microwave on for a few minutes until the window is steamy and then wipe the inside once it cools.
- Appliances- Wipe down appliances and clean the crumbs out of your toaster.
- Windows- Raise your blinds and get to work with some glass cleaner and a microfiber cloth.
- Shower Curtains- Throw your curtains in the wash or give it a spray of some bleach cleaner.
- Shower, sink, and toilet- Wash away stubborn grime with a multi-purpose bleach cleaner.
- Floors- Grab a Swiffer and get to work.
- Countertops- Wipe away stains with granite polish.
- Windows- Lift your blinds to clean the glass, then dust off the blinds.
- Furniture- Pull your furniture away from your walls and vacuum behind it. Dust the surfaces.
- Floor- Vacuum or Swiffer the floors.
- Windows- Grab some glass cleaner and get to work.
- Curtains- You can throw your curtains in on the “air-only” cycle to remove dust and wrinkles.
- Bedding- Don’t skip washing your bedding.
- Ceiling Fixtures- Grab that duster! This is a spot that is often missed.
- Closets- Clean out some old clothes and reorganize your closet. Donate the stuff you don’t want.
- Fireplace- Sweep your fireplace to get rid of debris.
- Couches- Wipe down your couches.
- Curtains- Throw your curtains in on the “air-only” cycle to remove dust and wrinkles.
- Bookshelves- Take a few minutes to organize your coffee table books, novels, or magazines. You can alphabetize, coordinate by color, or sort by size while you dust the shelves.
- Floors- Vacuum or Swiffer the floors.
- Washer- Add bleach and run the cleaning cycle to remove odors and mildew.
- Dryer- Pull out hard-to-reach lint to prevent fires.
- Countertops- Wipe away stains with granite polish.
- Floors- Vacuum or Swiffer the floors.
Hey, Kansas City Neighbor!
We hope you enjoyed our spring cleaning tips for cleaning your Kansas City home. If you’re ever house hunting in the Kansas City Northland, be sure to take a look at our listings!
Hear From Our Happy Customers
We understand the purchase of a home is likely your largest investment! When you buy a Hearthside Home, you’ll rest easy knowing the property has been thoroughly inspected by third-party experts. We also offer a 12-month warranty on all of our new construction homes, ensuring your comfort and satisfaction. Don’t just take our word for it! You can click here to read Google reviews from our happy customers and click here to watch our video testimonials.
Viktoriya Says: “My fiancé and I purchased a spec home from Hearthside Homes and we couldn’t be happier! From the first phone call with Liz (one of our realtors) to closing on the home, it has been nothing but an amazing experience. We had millions of questions as this was our first ever home and each question was answered with kindness and in a timely manner. I never felt like an inconvenience to them and they were always so happy to speak to us. Everyone has been so professional, responsive, and great to work with. Our house feels like a dream. It’s absolutely stunning with all of the right upgrades and special touches! We had the home inspected and our inspectors couldn’t find anything wrong! They told us this is one of the best new construction homes they had ever seen. This made us so incredibly happy and confirmed that we had made the right decision! As new home buyers, this gave us such a sense of security to know we are now living in a high-quality home that we can count on for many, many years! We couldn’t recommend Hearthside Homes enough!”
More About Hearthside Homes of Kansas City
If you have any questions about our home building process, feel free to fill out the form on our website or give us a call at (816) 781-0234. Don’t forget to follow all the fun on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest! We hope you enjoyed learning more about cleaning in Kansas City. Thanks for stopping by Hearthside Homes of Kansas City!